Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Place Value Games - Base 10 Blocks

I've had Place Value with Base 10 Blocks on my mind...

My district implements the Everyday Math program. Some days the core lesson is super meaty. Other days, not so much. Hence, the games/centers option. :)

Something we are toying with is trying Math Workshop with our Everyday Math for grade 1. Do you do Math Workshop with EM for grade 1? If so, I'd love to hear about your general structure and any tips you would suggest.

Anyhoo - back to the games...There are three different ones - a dice game and two versions of concentration...

Thanks to the fabulous Ashley Hughes for the great clip art images! You can find them in her TpT store right here. :)


Dice Game (3 versions)...This can be played individually, with partners or in small groups. Set up a "bank" of base 10 blocks. Kids roll two dice and follow the action on the page and record their roll & running total. Depending what they roll, they'll either add to their collection from the bank or remove from their collection to the bank. They'll keep a running total after each roll. Winner is whoever has the most (or least!) at the end...you decide.




Concentration/Memory - Yellow/Abacus
Arrange cards upside down. Students take turns flipping over two cards to try and match the number with the corresponding base 10 block image.

Concentration/Memory - Blue/Right Triangle
Arrange cards upside down. Students take turns flipping over two cards to try and match the equation with the corresponding base 10 block image.


12 comments:

  1. Ooooh! Glad I'm up late....drinking wine! Ha! Thanks for the freebie!
    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them Lisa!!! They look great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this especially the dice roll. What a great idea!
    ஐRikki
    The Hive

    ReplyDelete
  4. THank you so much for the freebie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome freebie, thank you!
    My district uses EM, and I just started implementing my math workshop this year. So far, so good! Check out my blog, I just posted this week about how I implement math workshop!
    Colleen :-)
    Fun and Fearless in First

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa,

    I teach Everyday Math in 1st Grade as well! I love finding teachers who share this common bond!

    This is my third year to teach it, and I feel like we finally have it down (almost). I have tried EVERYTHING under the sun with EM….and I mean everything. Whole group lessons, small group lessons, centers, math workshop, and more centers. It can definitely be a bit of a challenge, but the program has great benefits.

    I would love to explain how I teach math but want to avoid making this comment super long.

    Email me, and I would love to chat!

    The Frizz

    thefrizzinfirstgrade@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks girl for the awesome freebie!!!! :)

    Maria
    http://curiousfirsties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!! I'm a little too late! :)
    Thanks for commenting on my blog!
    It looks like I'm your 200th follower!!
    Congrats!
    Sandra
    Sweet Times in First
    sweettimesinfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lisa!
    Turns out I'm 203! Your blog is adorable and what a great freebie! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Linda
    AroundtheKampfire

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so excited to have found you...or for you to have found me. ;) We use Everyday Math and I can't wait to use your Base 10 Block Games. Thank you for creating them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blog too! I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete