Friday, March 29, 2013

5 for Friday, Spring Cleaning TpT Sale, High Low Linky




I'm FI.NA.LLY linking up with Kacey over at Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday. Excited! Click the pic to link up. :)
fiveforfriday


1. My new favorite books...BOTH by Amy Krouse Rosenthal of Yes Day fame. 
reminds me of another favorite...Peter Reynolds' Ish. The OK, when turned vertical, is a stick person who is having fun being "okay" at lots of things knowing one day s/he'll be really excellent at something. Precious!!!
  


   

This Plus That: Life's Little Equations
is sweet as can be and FABulous for teaching inferences and selectively choosing words! 

yes+no=maybe

chalk+jumping=hopscotch

big buildings+bustling=city

winding roads+rustling=country

Cute, cute, cutie cute cute!!! Fun in Writers Notebooks, too! Click either book title to find them on Amazon.

2. Is there an ankle bracelet on that Easter Bunny?

Another hilarious quote from my fabulous friend Shelley! This is the closest my daughter would get to that creepy Easter Bunny from the local Park & Rec Bunny Lunch (clearly held in a high class locale. hehehe.) Can't blame her!


3. High/Low Linky from my gal Katie. Head on over and link up!!
high low_thumb[3]




low
I’m starting with my low this month because it still breaks my heart...it's sort of going on right now. Brace yourself for a long segment here...or just scroll down to my high.

We lost my amazingly sweet mother-in-law suddenly and unexpectedly (for unknown, unexplained reasons) last year the Tuesday before Easter. That day she was shopping and voting and feeling fine in the morning...ill and at a clinic (not hospital) by 1:00 pm...passed away at 10:20 pm.

Her funeral service was the day before Easter last year. Thinking about Easter without her is so hard. Our grief is no longer raw, but it's still fresh. We think about and talk about and cry about her alllllllllthetiiiiiime.

We miss her for so many reasons...the biggest of all being how special her relationship was with our kids. She absolutely and completely oozed and radiated love for them, her only grandchildren. 


Her life story was quite incredible...her siblings and parents escaped  (literally...at night, under blankets in a covered wagon in the winter. Her mom knew her kids were still alive by the wet marks on the blankets from where their noses/mouths were) during WWII and eventually emigrated to the US in the 50's where their family was sponsored by a farmer from a church in tiny town in western WI along the Mississippi River. She knew no English and was shunned by many in the community during her high school years spent there. People would CROSS THE STREET to move away from her. I can't imagine.


She met my father-in-law in Milwaukee at a dance sponsored by the local German group and they were married just shy of 50 years. He was a tailor and they built their first (and only) house for $18,500 and have paid cash for every single they own on his modest income. Such special people. Adorably small, sweet Germans still with thick, thick accents (I don't understand my f-i-l sometimes when he talks and I've known him over twenty years!).


Hilda was a get down on the ground, hide in the closet, make loud music while parading around the house kind of Oma (grandma). She was the most incredible cook and baked the most amazing treats. She watched our kids a few days a week up until her she joined God.



She is 100% absolutely in a better place. We just miss her like crazy. Every single day.

HIgh (2)
My high was DEFinitely my birthday. Such a fun day, filled with family and even some peace and quiet (a small miracle)! And, I loved doing the flash freebies and giveaway on facebook! What a blast!

My favorite gifts? Zach and Emily singing Happy Birthday to me while being over-dramatically conducted by my hilarious husband. Best start to the day EVER!

AND...my first "I love you, Mommy" note from Emily on a teeny tiny piece of paper.

Treasures that fill my heart and beyond.

4. Greg! One of my bloggy besties, Mr. Greg…He has surpassed 1000 followers and is having a big fat giveaway that you MUST enter. I’m honored to be part of Prize Pack #3 along with some blogging legends!! Woot Woot! He has 5 Prize Packs going for a few more days. Head over and tell him I sent ya!


5. Spring Cleaning Sale!!

Sale pic created by the super talented Krista of Creative Clips on TpT and the Creative Chalkboard blog. You might recognize the graphics above - I used them on my April Common Core Crunch pack! I love Krista's work!

Time to clean out those TpT wish lists/carts!!!

I'm joining some fabulous bloggers/TpTers for a Spring Cleaning Sale over at TpT. Sellers are having anywhere from 10-20% off items in their store. Check out their links below!

My entire store will be 20% off. You can click the darling Spring Cleaning pic to get to my store and down below is the linky so you can shop at other fab stores, too. Have fun!

My own cart is FULL and I am excited to save money on some of the items I've been wanting for a while! And, I'm definitely buying clip art May's Common Core Crunch! My TpT cart runneth over.

Thanks a bunch for stopping by!!! Sending smiles of appreciation your way!!

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your mother-in -law. She was beautiful! I'm so glad you had such a great birthday though! So excited about this sale. I always love a good sale! :) Any chance I could join your friends next time you have a group thing? :) (Is that way too shameless and embarrassing to ask? I feel like I'm inviting myself to a party-ha!)

    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I'm very sorry to hear about your Mother-in-Law. Your memories of her sound so precious! Love the pic of her playing with your kiddos! I know you must cherish it and the time you had together! Hugs!
    Laura
    Peace, Love, and First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lisa! That was such a sweet and sad story! I'm so sorry for your loss, especially around Easter. Even though it's almost a year, I'm sure it seems like yesterday. Prayers are with you this weekend, girl!

    xo
    Leebs :)
    Learning With Mrs. Leeby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the OK book. Our kiddos love Yes Day, so we'll have to check out this one too!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your low just broke my heart! I am so sorry for your loss! Even after a year, I imagine the pain is still fresh, especially at special times. She sounds like an amazing woman. It is heart breaking how people treat one another. I wish we could go back in time and cross the street TO her and give her a GIANT hug!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your story. Thinking of your family this weekend. And yes..that Easter Bunny is a little frightening...ugh.

    Nicki
    Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd loved your post today and your thoughtful and loving story about your mother-in-law. Happy Easter to you and yours and thanks for always sharing with your audience - freebies and always the honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...after reading your low, I am so teary eyed! I am sorry about your MIL. You are right...she is in a better place...it just is sad that she still isn't here with you. It took a long time after losing my MIL for the tears to stop in our house. I LOVE your picture frame! Such a cute idea.
    Sara
    First Grade Funtastic

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful way to honor your mother-in-law by sharing her amazing life story with us! Treasure those memories always! I love your birthday gift from the kids!
    Happy Easter Lisa!!
    xoxo,
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry for your loss!:( Your whole family is still so lucky to have had such a wonderful women in their lives! Hope you have a Happy Easter!

    Hugs!
    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete