Sunday, November 17

Julia Cook Linky Party...Don't Be Afraid To Drop!!

Have you ever been afraid to try something new?

Have you witnessed your students afraid to try something new?

Then...it's drama, procrastination and maybe more drama to do the new thing...

Yet once it was done it turned out to not be so bad after all and in fact, was a confidence-builder and probably even fun??

Or, at the very least, it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be????

Yep...that.

Enter Julia Cook's book...

I'm privileged to be reviewing this book for you today, as part of Laura Candler's Julia Cook linky party on her highly resourceful Corkboard Connections site.

Before I talk about this lovely book, let me tell ya, Julia has a boat load of wonderful books on her site...http://www.juliacookonline.com/!! Like a BIG boat load of books!!!

All of the books she writes are gateways to powerful conversations with our students (and our own children at home, too)...

Take a peek at just a few that are involved in the Linky Party...clicking this image will take you directly to Julia's website.


Don't Be Afraid to Drop is about two raindrops...a father and son...sitting on top of a cloud that is getting too heavy...they need to drop off the cloud, but the son is too afraid.

As you can guess, the son eventually DOES drop and ends up being so relieved that he did.

This book lends itself to wonderful discussion about worrying and fears.

We talk about times where a loved one has encouraged us to try something, even though we don't want to and also about times we've been afraid to try something and then did it and it wasn't so bad.

As always, I'm mining for writing topics and encourage students to write about their experiences. They often share stories about going down a "big" slide or a "dark" tube-slide...riding their bike without training wheels the first time...jumping off the side of the pool...

Kids have lots of examples and stories to share!

I generally have all students write in their Writer's Notebooks about their experiences and some students choose to write narrative books about their experience...This post {HERE} talks about how I use Writer's Notebooks in case you'd like to read more.

When I ordered this book, I also got these...
Let's just say, the bottom two were purchased with my feisty, spicy meatball five year old daughter. She LOVES them so it may be a while yet before they make it to school for my first graders! Let's just say I NEED to capitalize on her love of them! Cuz she IS a fiercely independent, yes-loving kind of gal.

Wanna order your own Julia books? Or add to your existing collection?

Make sure you visit the other folks in the linky to figure out what you'd like to order...

Along that vein...I'd love to help you out...enter the Rafflecopter below to win $10 to Amazon!!

(P.S. Head over to Teacher to the Core for the chance to win another $10 Amazon card!!)


a Rafflecopter giveaway

49 comments:

  1. I LOVE her books. Don't be afraid to drop happens to be one I DON"T have. My kids at school love her books as well. So far the favorite one this year has been Bad Case of Tattle Tongue! Thanks for this post! rwrench64@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't own any of her books, but I would love to start collecting! They look very inviting and it seems they would be great for teaching social skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my mouth is a volcano and tattle tongue! Love all her books:) I use tattle tongue at the end of the year when my girls get a bit too comfortable with each other!

    Emma
    msemmasedventure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't Be Afraid to Drop looks super cute!! I don't have any of her books, but My Mouth is a Volcano has been on my "to buy" list for the longest time! Tattle Tongue looks good as well! I think I will be purchasing Personal Space Camp for my touchy-feely 4 year old love nugget at home...

    Angela :)
    Hippo Hooray for Second Grade!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another book to buy!!! I love her books, but not as much as I love and adore you, Lisa Mattes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I own My Mouth is a Volcano, but I also borrow some from my teammates such A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue. I wish I could by them all... some on my wish list include Personal Space Camp, But it's Just a Game, and now Don't be Afraid to Drop... so excited for the chance to win some Amazon $$ to buy a few!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome post - thanks for the great recommendations :)
    I would love to buy a copy of "But It's Just a Game" - I hear that wayyy too often in my classroom! :)

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course I own the Booger book. I own several others, but can't remember which ones. I love Julia. She is such a great person as well as author. Thanks for sharing her books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids loved A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just discovering these books - Love My Mouth is A Volcano

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the "MY way" and "I don't like to share" although I wish I could have them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have my mouth is a volcano and a bad case of stripes I would love to add

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just ordered my first two Julia Cook books: It's only a game and Tattle Tongue. I can't wait for them to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohmigosh I LOVE Julia Cook's books! I have My Mouth is a Volcano, Personal Space Camp, Bad Case of Tattle Tongue, and I Just Don't Like the Sound of NO. I have a few more of hers on my Amazon Wishlist.
    My kiddos LOVE her style and so do I! All I have to say is "volcano" when someone is shouting out, haha!
    This book looks awesome! And I love the Writing Workshop connection. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never heard of these books. Thanks for blogging about them. I would love to include them in my library of character education resources!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tattle Tongue! Always on the look for more! wendy 1stgradefireworks@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never heard of these books and don't own any. They seem cute and teach great skills.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My students get so much from "My Mouth Is a Volcano" and "A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue" the first week of school!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't own any of these books…YET! They look wonderful! Thank you so much for introducing me to them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I bought a few of her books at the beginning of the year! My mouth is a volcano is one of my favorites. In my classroom, we are always reminding each other of the book!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Tattle Tongue! And have many more on my wish list!
    -Andrea
    alwayskindergarten@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't own any books yet...time to rectify that! Hopefully with a gift card to Amazon!

    tokyoshoes at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't own any of her books but I am interested in all the books, especially the book about bullying.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't have any of her books yet, because I just recently found out about them. I can't wait to start getting them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't have any of her books but will be looking into them. I like the one I Just Don't Like The Word No.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Would love any of her books as I don't own any. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have the book "My Mouth is a Volcano" which I found on Amazon last year while looking for something to remind my class to raise their hands and take turns talking! It gets the point across and I have used it again this year. Would love any and all of her other books too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think the "Don't Be Afraid to Drop" would go along with the water cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I own "My Mouth is a Volcano." I think my students could really use "But It's Just a Game" and "I Want to Do It My Way.:

    ReplyDelete
  30. My Mouth is a Volcano and Making Friends is an Art. I see a few more I want, too!

    Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't own any of her books yet, I'd like to get "Ricky Sticky Fingers".

    ReplyDelete
  32. I do not own any of her books, but have wanted My Mouth is a Volcano for quite a while :) Thanks for the chance to win!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I do not own any of her books but I have read some of them from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Julia books look like a lot of fun! I've not hear of them before.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I don't think I own any of her books but would love to start collecting some.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I don't have any yet, but she looks like a great author!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I own most of them! I love them all! I use them EVERY SINGLE year!

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  38. I don't own any yet, but I would love to try any of them! :)

    Breanne
    breannesimons@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. I've been wanting to buy My Mouth is a Volcano. I had no idea she wrote all these books!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I don't have any of her books yet but she looks like a wonderful author! I am going to have to get some of her books :)
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  41. I don't own any of her books yet but I love My Mouth is a Volcano!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a wonderful giveaway!!! I have checked her books out from the library, but don't have any of my own yet. I love, love Tattle Tongue and My Mouth is a Volcano. Thank you for the giveaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I don't have any of her books though I am going to have to start collecting! Thanks for sharing!

    Christina :)
    Apples, Books, and Crayons
    applesbooksandcrayons@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. I don't have ANY of them! But now I wish I did! My students could benefit from hearing some of these stories. Over and over again!

    Erica
    Blooming In First

    ReplyDelete
  45. I don't own any of Julia's books yet, but I have had my eye on "tattle tongue" and "my mouth is a volcano". I didn't realize she had so many books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I don't own any of her books. They all look great!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I LOVE discovering new books. I am a children's book-a-holic

    ReplyDelete
  48. I do not have any Julia Child books. I love to collect fairy tale books.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts: