Saturday, April 12

Bright Ideas - Data-Based Goal Setting

Woot Woot! It's another Bright Ideas Linky!!

No products promoted...JUST ideas!

My post is specific to teaching writing - using assessment data to set goals.

The specifics of my goal-setting that you'll read about are for writing conventions...however, before I get to that I feel that it's important to first share our...

My class knows our Ultimate Goals...we've been working on them ALL. YEAR. LONG. And...they'll continue to work on those goals in their future beyond me, I hope!

'Cuz, with writing, as skills improve, there are then other ways to improve. And more growth leads to more things to work on. And so on and so forth.

Both of the above goals are the heart and soul of everything we do in Writing Workshop. And what we do in Reading Workshop pays dividends, too.

Conventions such as punctuation, spacing, correct spelling, etc...they all fit in goal numero uno.

When we're studying authors' craft moves so that we can try it on our own...that fits goal number two. Same with when we're noticing Precise Words and edit to substitute a more precise word for a simple word.

I literally just sat and tried to think of something we do during Writing Workshop that does not fit either of the above goals and I couldn't come up with anything.

They're the umbrella...that we open up time and time again.

Today, I'm going to address how I use Dictated Sentences to Spot Check students' progress on conventions.

Then...I use that data along with other writing data to determine goals...which are ultimately displayed on an easy-to-see anchor chart like the one below.

To make the above anchor chart, I used the students' numbers, bright 8.5 x 11 paper, re-positionable glue stick and 3x3 sticky notes cut in half.

You'll notice that many students have their number in two goal areas...for example, student one is working to "Use .!? with 2 or more sentences," (red) as well as "Use a capital to begin each sentence," (orange). These were decided on a student-by-student basis.


The above clipboard contains the student data on one of the spot-checks I used...

Here are some close ups...

Do I love things I want to adjust? Absolutely. Always. :) Right...we're teachers...that's what we do.

After administering the Dictated Sentence Assessment, I went through and scored each child's piece, based on the conventions we're looking for....once they were recorded in the grid, I went through to highlight/star goals.

The extra box on the grid on each line is for the second spot check...I generally do them every 6-8 weeks. I did give an additional spot check and am in the midst of scoring them...and I gotta say I'm THRILLED with the students' progress!!!!

The highlighting and stars are for the goals...I decided on a kid-by-kid basis, based on all that I know about that student and his/her writing work, work ethic, sensitivity, time of year, etc.

Once I had the goal in mind, the anchor chart was made. Since it's made with sticky notes and repositionable glue it's easy to modify as our goals change!

For some students, I gave very specific written feedback...

These forms do go home along with the student's writing sample. I keep a copy of each at school.

I hope this post is helpful to you!! Let me know if you have any questions!! It's been an uber-hectic week and I was not able to dedicate as much time as I wanted to this post. :)

If you did enjoy this post, please consider following me on Facebook, Teachers pay Teachers, and/or Pinterest!


There are LOTS of other Bright Ideas for you to read about from 150 bloggers...make sure to check them out below!


14 comments:

  1. I love these writing ideas Lisa! Your chart is perfect and I love how simple it is to make. I will definitely be using these ideas! Pinning for sure! Thank you for your bright idea friend:)
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Writing Goals chart! What a great visual for the kids to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We talk about our GOALS all the time, too! I love this idea and how to track it! Thank you for sharing this bright idea!

    Leslie
    First Grade and Flip Flops

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What simple and effective ideas for writing. I really need to start next year off right!! Mahalo for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this!!! Pinned and saved for next year's new second graders!
    Linda
    AroundtheKampfire

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! So simple, but very powerful. What an easy way to engage students in setting their own goals AND making it easy to keep track of the data and give feedback! I'm going to use this right away next week! ~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea Lisa, thanks! I always need more writing ideas to keep in my back pocket.
    xoxo,
    Vicky
    Teaching and Much Moore

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the idea of using the interactive goal anchor chart. I plan to adapt this to work with my 3rd graders. Thanks for sharing!

    ~Chelsea
    Flip Floppin' Through...3rd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, thanks for another post full of practical ideas! Writing is one area that I really want to focus on, so this was perfect.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for such an informative post. I love how you make it so easy for the children to know what their goals are and to work toward them. Can't wait to try this! Maria

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! My math brain is going nuts :) These ideas are so simple to follow. I'll have to link up once I try these ideas in my adult English class.
    G-Iron Tutor

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this. Is there anyway you could post a link with your papers. It is small and I can't quite see all of it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is brilliant! I am about to jump into a writing unit and these goals are perfect. What an easy and direct way to track data.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the quick spot checks. Your data keeping method is quick, easy to manage, and to the point. Thank you for sharing.

    www.literacymathideas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts: