Saturday, July 19

Bright Ideas: Setting Up for Success on a Cold Read - Warming Up Before Reading

I'm so in love with this Bright Ideas Linky I can hardly stand it! It motivates me to come up with extra, EXTRA meaningful content so that I can be "chin up" around my sooooooo amazing blogging peers.

My topic today is all about having readers set themselves up for word-solving and comprehension success when picking up an unfamiliar book.
Warm up for non-fiction text successfully
During Private Reading (aka Independent Reading) in my Reading Workshop, readers have a selection of 8-12 books that they have shopped for from my leveled classroom library. (My district uses Fountas/Pinnell lettering for our leveling system.)

While students are doing Private Reading I'm conferring and pulling guided reading or strategy groups, so students are truly on their own to read the books cold...and in order to build their reading stamina, I want to equip them to be successful.

So here's a little demo via video...it's my first one so I feel kind of shy about it...if you have any suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment! :-)

Feel free to ask questions in the comments. I took and re-took the video maybe 647.38 times and this was the one that I flaked out the least.

When I'm initially teaching this idea, I demonstrate just like I did in the video under the document camera.

I'll also sometimes have students help me come up with words they'll expect in a book I'm holding up. Here's what they came up with for a book about some silly characters in race car driver outfits (I'm sorry I don't have a picture of the book!)...
Vocabulary-driven book warm up

I am planning to do more videos like this...if there's a topic you'd like me to demo in a future post, I'd LOVE to hear it!

Thanks for stopping by today!!! I hope you found this helpful!!!

If you did enjoy this post, please consider following me on FacebookTeachers pay Teachers, and/or Pinterest!

There are LOTS of other Bright Ideas for you to read about from bloggers...make sure to check them out below!


10 comments:

  1. I love this!! Perfect little snippet to show what you expect your kiddos to do! You are a talent, my friend!
    XOXO
    Laura
    Peace, Love, and First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful video Lisa! Thank you for taking the time to do the video! I love when bloggers make videos because it helps me really see how they do things! It was great to hear your voice again too. :)
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa! I thought your video was great and something that I'd actually show my kids. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sweet friend, your video is fantastic! I love the book introduction! Thanks for sharing with us! More videos please!!!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this video, Lisa! Such a great snapshot so teachers can model the same way!
    Thank you!
    Aylin :)
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa - YAY on your first video...you did great! All that was missing was your sweet face! Thank you for sharing my friend. <3
    xoxo,
    Vicky
    Teaching and Much Moore

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea, Lisa, on how to help students be successful with their independent reading while you are busy teaching! Loved the video- you did a great job!!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific video, Lisa! This is something we do in small groups, but it is so SMART to teach your students whole group so they can apply it as they are independent reading. Love it!
    :) Stephanie from First Grade Bangs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at you, our little video director! The video is brilliant AND the tips! :) I always worry that my kiddos are getting what they need during independent reading and this is a great way to scaffold it for them! :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts: