Saturday, August 30

Banish Lamination Glare! Quickly and Easily!

I'm just not much of a DIYer.

I see ideas on Pinterest and pin the bejeezers out of them.

My mom and stepdad are inCREDible DIYers.

I'm a WANNAbe DIYer.

Ya know those Pinterest fails?

That's me.

EXCEPT with this!

It was QUICK!

It was EASY!


I'm swooning over the loveliness of Jen Jones' Chalkboard Alphabet over at her Hello Literacy store on TpT. It is gorgeous and the pack includes 150 pages of alphabet goodness, including a spelling dictionary and alphabet cards in multiple sizes.

But when I finished laminating it and put it up, the classroom lights hit it in a way that made it so full of glare that my firsties wouldn't really be able to see it. With something things it doesn't matter so much...but with this it did. So I looked into what I could do about it. And found out about clear spray paint with a matte finish.

So I tried it!

And it worked!

All I did was lay out the pieces on a whopper piece of cardboard from my school's receiving room. I set up just outside to avoid too much odor. It took about two minutes to spray the first coat. Then I waited a few minutes (five mn max) and spent another two minutes to spray the second coat. Then I waited a few more minutes and carried it back to my classroom.

The directions say that it dries to the touch in five minutes and it will be fully dry in 24 hours. It dried to the touch really quickly.

I started hanging it up...and one of my colleagues stopped in, saw what I was doing and mentioned that I was supposed to hang our Handwriting Without Tears alphabet.

Oops!

So I did hang the HWT up (and dropped the J card behind the Smartboard...in true-to-me-fashion) in the more prominent, student-viewing spot....and then hung this gorgeous set up as decoration on another wall.

I loved the results so much that I sprayed these guys down, too...(they were too bright for my now matte-needing eyes). Here's a picture before they were laminated....

Read, Write & Solve were all stapled up, so I took them down and sprayed them. LOVE the result.

Care was attached more securely to the mason block wall...and I didn't want to deal with taking it down. So...shhhhhhh....I sprayed it (one coat) while it was still on the wall. I held an open manila folder to the side with one hand and held the spray paint with the other hand and did a quick spray. It worked!

Pics to come soon. I was so kerfuffled about getting ready for my new crew of firsties' first day on Tuesday that I forgot to take the pictures! But if I don't post this post this weekend, I'll be sucked in to the B2S Transition Vortex and I'll never even remember that I wanted to share this with you guys.

Product Deets...
I used Rustoleum Matte Finish spray and it did have a bit of an odor, most noticed, but still not terrible, when I sprayed it inside my classroom...So for future projects I tracked down a Low Odor version from Krylon.

By the way...as you read this, I'm guessing you've sorta maybe thought that technically this is not really a DIY project. Thank you for not telling me that all I really did was spray laminate with a special finish to banish the glare. Which doesn't really constitute a DIY. You guys are the best!


12 comments:

  1. Ok, so genius! I will definitely be doing this next week! Thanks for sharing your "DIY" project, which I TOTALLY think counts as one! ;)

    Monica
    Mrs. MeGown's 2nd Grade Safari

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figure if I pin it, then actually do it, that definitely counts as DIY. Thanks for sharing the great idea you did yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great idea. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to be spraying lots of charts. Do you know if it works on the Elmo glare? If I put anything under the Elmo with lamination it glares terribly. I can't wait to try it
    Petersons-Pad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh - good question on the Elmo! I don't have one so I don't know....I'm hoping it helps big time!!!

      Delete
  4. great idea!!! i can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic tip- Thanks! Can't wait to give it a try!

    KinderIrick

    ReplyDelete
  6. You rock Lisa! Katie and I made all this great stuff for my room this year and the glare makes it where my students (and me too) have to move around just to catch them at the right angle so you can read them! Enough! I'm getting some of this today! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving your DIY !!!! I can't wait to try it!! Thanks for sharing this great tip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finally I have found something which helped me. Appreciate it! Lamination

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts: